Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Reason for the Season (why are we doing this?)

I am giving you short notice and Chap.2 is rather long, but if you can, be ready on Thursday to discuss the Reflection questions and The Change Project questions at the end of the chapter.  Answer the following questions in the comment section:
  • What were the three wrong motives for change that Tim Chester listed in this chapter?  Can you give a one or two sentence summary of each one? 
  • Also feel free to comment below with any quotes or ideas that were insightful and helpful from this chapter.
  • I posted a sermon by Eric Mason called "Community".  I could not link it here but it readily posted to facebook so I used that.  If you want burn it to a cd it is available on itunes on a podcast under Epiphany Fellowship.  The sermon was delivered on 10/11/09.  Comment when you have finished the sermon about what was helpful.
  • We'll talk on Thursday about where we will go next considering the Philippians passage.  
Look forward to seeing you on Thursday.

3 comments:

  1. O yea...25th inning...coming up to bat...strike out...good thing justification doesn't depend on me...

    OK, the more serious comments, Lordwilling, will come shortly, I will read ch 2 again and try to answer the Q's. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three wrong reasons: (1)to prove myself to God, (2)to prove myself to other people, and (3)to prove myself to myself.
    Summary: (1): Like the green lantern. We think God chose us because of something inside of us that we cannot even see. The reality is, "God shows His love for us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (2) Change to impress people in the church. (3) I want to pull myself up with my own bot straps, so I can have high self-esteem.

    Insightful Quotes: "We need to repent of trying to be our own savior." The two roads are self-righteousness/legalism or poverty of spirit. We are the repentant beating our breasts humble tax collector (realization of how wretched I am compared to the Holy, holy, holy God) or the legalistic pharisee. "We don't do good works so we can be saved; we are saved so we can do good works." "You will cleanse no sin from your life that you have not first recognized as being pardoned through the cross."

    "Holiness is new affections, new desires, and new motives that then lead to new behavior."

    "Community" by Eric Mason. The small "c" is non-negotiable. You cannot like Jesus, but not like His people. Living life with fellow believers. Do I have the desires to purposely find ways to live my life with believers of a local church???

    I listened twice, I know more near the end, what he preached was important.

    Living life with the "cool" Christians and the "not so cool" Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great summary. I especially liked the Green Lantern reference.

    Those were good comments. The quote, "You will cleanse no sin from your life that you have not first recognized as being pardoned through the cross," ministered to me too. I have been asking myself lately when thinking about certain sin issues, "I am I believing that Christ died on the cross for this...that the wrath of God the Father was poured out on his Son and not me for this?".

    Yeah man. I really liked this sermon from Eric Mason. First because he used the words Christocentrism and 'wig out' in the same sermon! Second, because he emphasized the need for us to do life together as Christ's local church even when its hard and we offend one another. How else can we obey the command to bear with one another and forgive one another as God in Christ has forgiven us (Col. 3:12-13)? In other words, practice the gospel with one another.

    ReplyDelete